Wednesday 19 April 2017

Training training training

So here we are, only a few days to go until Owen does his ultra marathon on Saturday, then my Fred training takes on a more serious note when I attempt to take on the Lakeland Loop on Sunday. I'd love to say I am looking forward to it, I'm looking forward to cheering Owen on his run, he definitely seems to be getting the better of the weather this weekend but to be honest, as for the ride I am looking forward to all of it except the last two big climbs! 

I've managed to notch up 900 miles on the bike so far this year, enjoying training rides with Owen, Pipes, James, Tom and the guys at VCC. I'll probably be over 1'000 before the time the Fred comes along and yet I still feel like I could and should have done a bit more. I managed to get out a few times over the Easter break, but most of my training time has been spent eating chocolate eggs with a pen and a map looking at routes for the Fred and Lakeland Loop arranging with Mrs Paddy the best places to meet up and refill my water and food supplies... I'll probably use those meet ups for cuddles and crying too. 


As I am sure you can see from the map above, a lot of time has gone into them and I am sure come the time of the event it will have been time well spent. 

In other news, i've had my bike serviced ready for the big day. The guys at Cyclewise in Cockermouth did a great job and not only cleaned my drive chain, but also managed to stop it making that really annoying knocking noise it was making. So thanks guys, much appreciated. The longer days in the saddle are a lot more pleasant without that noise. 

This weekend sees Owen take on his ultra marathon, running (slash walking slash crawling slash crying) source to sea along the river Derwent, the full 47 miles. I'll be cycling alongside him for some of the route, but only a bit, I hate to see a grown man in shorts and a vest cry, so I'll just cycle alongside for a few miles to give him some morale support. I will also cheer him along with the old Welsh proverb he taught me during our Strathpuffer training... 'Man up princess!' 

Then for me on Sunday it is the Lakeland loop, the 80 mile (ish) route around the Lake District which will take me over Whinlatter, Cold Fell, Wrynose and Hardknott. A good distance and a good few set of hills in the run up to the Fred to help build my confidence or break me physically and mentally 2 weeks before the big event. 

Anyway, good luck to Owen this weekend, I'm sure you'll smash it - if you see him hobbling along at the side of the road, give him a good old pip and a cheer. 

And as always i'll finish by encouraging you all to Get Outside and Live, come and join Owen for part of his run, or come and watch and cheer Owens run or me and everyone else out on their pushbikes attempting the Lakeland Loop. 

Paddy 

2 comments: