Tuesday 14 March 2017

5 Tips for new ultra-marathon runners







My next big GOAL for 2017 is running an ultra-marathon! After being all talk about it last year me and a friend in work have put our money where our mouth is and agreed a date for running an ultra.  In January, we decided to run the Derwent – Source to Sea approximately 47 miles!  This will take us over a mix of terrain, from high up on the fells, down through some woodlands to Derwent Water, around the lake to Portinscale and onwards to Bassenthwaite Lake.  After Bassenthwaite Lake on with the road shoes and off along the road to Cockermouth, Seascale and finally the sea at Workington.

This is not my first ultra and probably won’t be my last, even though after I keep finishing one that’s what I tell my wife! My first ultra was with Rat Race, running 70 miles along Hadrian’s Wall in 2 days - meaning back to back ultra-marathons, 32 miles on day 1 and 38 miles on day 2.  I successfully completed this after doing a 110-mile bike ride followed by a marathon up and down Ben Nevis, 3 weeks earlier.
Why am I telling you all this?  It’s certainly not for bragging rights, it’s just to illustrate that I’ve done an ultra-marathon and I’m planning to do another one, so I thought I would share a few tips that I picked up just in case you are planning to take on the challenge.



1.       Comfortable trainers.  Pick your trainers to suit the terrain, and make sure you try them and wear them in before you do your event!!


2.       Practice with your equipment. (not a euphemism for anything!) When you do an ultra you are likely to have a hydro pack/bottles, rain coat etc. Your event might have mandatory kit that you need to carry, find out what it is and practice running with it.  You don’t want to be on your run when you find out that something rubs or hurts, or you don’t want to turn up to the event and find your bag is too small to carry all your mandatory kit!



3.       Practice with your nutrition.  This is so important.  I remember when I first started doing long distance cycling and running events and cocking up my nutrition, meaning I ended up bonking (reaching a point of exhaustion because you have no fuel left).  When you are hungry, I’ve found it is too late.  Instead keep your energy levels up -  I use a mixture of gels and flapjack bars (I like Mcvities chocolate hobnob flapjacks, because they are small and easy to open, have a chocolate coat for instant energy boost and oats for a slow burn).  You need to know what works well for you and practice eating on your runs.


4.       Choose your clothes wisely.  Not much to say here, pretty self-explanatory, practice with the clothes you want to wear, something light and breathable.  And mostly importantly ensure it doesn’t chafe!!!!


   5.       ENJOY IT!! When your head is down and your tired and feel you don’t want to carry on, look up and see where you are running.  I ran Hadrian’s Wall and there is amazing scenery all the way around.  I’m planning to run right through the heart of the Lake District, I know I will get tired and I know I will get despondent, but it is at these moments that it is important to look up and see where I am, appreciate the beauty and freedom and the fact that I’m getting a chance to experience it!

   6.       Ok I know I said 5 tips but this is linked to 5, so in reality it should be 5a rather than 6….
5a. Talk to the people around you, that is the great thing about these events they are bringing together like minded people! The person standing next to you at the start line is as bonkers as you are, they’ve signed up for the event as well!!!  People make events, me and Paddy definitely believe in this and this is part of the reason why we set this company up.  On my Hadrian’s Wall run I met a guy who I ran  probably ran 60 out of the 70 miles with, I never met him before and I haven’t met him since but we talked and motivated each all the way around.  And I truly believe that I don’t think I would have made it if it wasn’t for the encouragement of a complete stranger.


We are scouting this route out for a potential event in the years to come, love to hear your views on it.

Also, I’ll be on social media talking about my training leading up to the event so you can follow us on Twitter (@GoCumbria), on Instagram (@gocumbriaevents) or on Facebook (@GOCumbriaEvents)

I’ll be doing the run on 22nd April and Paddy will be doing a live feed of the event.

GO and Get Outdoors And Live!

Owen

No comments:

Post a Comment