Saturday 11 March 2017

Ready for a new GOAL?


2017 time for a new challenge, many of us start a new year with exciting challenges and goals (many of them decided after a drink or two at a New Year's Eve party!) But how many of us carry them out? I think I'm on the third attempt of learning Spanish!

Mid-way through 2016 Paddy had text me, just as my daughter was being born, “Do you want to do a 24-hour bike race?”. Now to be fair he had mentioned this before, but in my defence, he also said we’ll start on an easier course like the Silverstone 24hour Cycling Grand Prix.  In my tired and emotional state I agreed to it and didn’t ask any further questions, until I had already said yes….., then I found out it was the Strathpuffer, a 24 hour mountain biking race in Inverness (www.strathpuffer.co.uk) in January!  This became my new GOAL, so for the rest of 2016 I needed to get MTB fit!

So, on the way back from the GOAL I had set in 2016 and had achieved, Paddy turns to me and says that we should do something similar in Cumbria. I had been awake for the better part of 30 hours, I was sore from falling off my bike at least 3 times and the bongo bus was doing little to de-ice me after cycling through -8C. So, while having an amazing experience I was less than anamoured about doing it again let alone organising one. But I (finally) de-iced, had a good sleep (or as much as you can do with a 4-year-old and a 6-month-old) and the pain eased (with paracetamol), I started thinking what a great idea this was.

Hey presto! A new GOAL for 2017 (other than trying to learn Spanish, again)! Set up a company that can bring new experiences to people, with a focus on getting people out and trying different experiences. It doesn't matter who you are or what you have done before you can do something amazing.  Holding running and cycling events for all levels of competitors!

I’ve lived in Cumbria for the better part of 10 years, and to me it’s one giant play park!!  Whether it’s running and cycling up, down, over or around a fell, through a forest pine forest or ancient woodland, next to or through one of the many lakes, rivers, becks or meres, in the light and in the dark, through a city or town or along a Roman wall, come rain (most of the time), shine or snow, Cumbria and the Lake District has it all. 


Paddy and myself want to give everyone that opportunity to experience this amazing place. 

In 2017 me and Paddy will be working hard to get some events set up for you to come and enjoy this place.  Your job is to have FUN!!! (also, follow us on Twitter (@GoCumbria), on Instagram (@gocumbriaevents) or on Facebook (@GOCumbriaEvents) 😊

Watch out for new events!

GO and Get Outdoors And Live!

Owen

No comments:

Post a Comment