Tuesday 28 March 2017

Cycling Trip


After some prompts from Owen (consistent nagging), I thought it was time to add to the blog myself with an update on the progress I'm making against my own GOAL this year. 



The next big challenge for me after the Strathpuffer is the Saddleback Fred Whitton Challenge (http://www.fredwhittonchallenge.co.uk). The ride takes in all the major Cumbrian fell road passes, climbing just under 4000m over 112 miles. It is something I've wanted to do for a few years, but never had the courage to enter. 

Following on from the Strathpuffer ride I was pretty tired, not just physically, but mentally too, so I thought I'd reward myself with a few weeks well earned rest... then in the services on my route home from Inverness I received the delightful news that my application to the 2017 'Fred' had been accepted and I was entered into the ride. Great I thought (or words to that effect) I guess I better forget my weeks of rest and start training... after my Big Mac. 

I'd been out on my mountain bike a couple of times every week in the run up to the 'Puffer, so I thought I'd be in pretty good shape for my road bike training and to get into the swing of things I thought I'd enter a few other events to get my road bike legs back. 

I did the Eden Valley Epic earlier in March and I'm booked onto the Lakeland Loop in a couple of weeks which are both great rides with a good couple of hilly bits. My main miles were planned in on this weekend gone, where myself and Owen from Go Cumbria embarked on our annual cycling trip with friends. The plan was to cycle to Edinburgh over 3 days, 100 miles up the coast on day 1 from Whitehaven to Dumfries, 80 miles on day 2 up to Glasgow and 60 miles on day 3 along the canal path to Edinburgh via Falkirk. 




We couldn't have asked for better weather, the weather was so nice we added in a few extra cake and brew stops and we we're even able to sit outside and enjoy our healthy food in the sunshine. 



Some highlights from our weekend ride; 

Day 1 - We kicked things off with an argument, Owen tried to convince me Edinburgh was on the coast of Scotland and that we needed to dip our tyres in the sea at Whitehaven and then again in the sea at Edinburgh to complete a kind of Coast to Coast. I disagreed, Edinburgh is not on the coast and I wanted no such part of silly things. Then Owen slipped down the jetty ramp and slid into the sea, getting wet feet and almost dropping his bike - so all was forgiven. 
The views around the coast road were fantastic, the weather was amazing, when we arrived in Dumfries we could practically see where we started in Whitehaven. I was so determined to complete my 100 mile challenge on day one that I think I was genuinely the only one of us disappointed to see the site of our hotel after just 98.5 miles. So I ended up doing a couple of laps of the A75 while everyone checked in just to hit my target. 



Day 2 - We left bright and early, full of cooked breakfast and our pockets overflowing with flapjack from the all you can eat breakfast. It is important to make sure you eat healthy on these trips, my food of choice for the weekend was flapjack, wine gums, jelly babies and fudge. Until we got to Moffat, where I ate a waffle and some carrot cake. There is a film documentary called 'Finding Traction' about a runner called Nikki Kimball, she runs a 273 mile trail and in that she talks about food while training, that it is important to eat what your body craves, rather than sticking to 'healthy snacks and energy bars'. This is definitely a philosophy I agree with - as you can tell by my gut and man boobs. 
The day ended with Owen trying to ride up the kerb in front of the Duke of Wellington in Glasgow and getting it wrong, falling in front of a bus load of people (though he will deny this and instead claim he decided to get off his bike and go for a run instead). 



Day 3 - The final leg of our trip saw us ride around Glasgow lost for an hour or so looking for the canal and then a ride along the canal from Glasgow to Falkirk and then on to Edinburgh. We got to see the Falkirk Wheel, which as an Engineer I was very excited about and took lots of photos from many different angles. 
We started off very leisurely, we had the whole day to kill and it was our shortest distance to cover, or so we thought. Our leisurely pace was fantastic and very enjoyable, until we realised we were 17 miles outside Edinburgh and that our train left in an hour and fifteen minutes. The last 17 miles were a bit hectic and we arrived at the station at the same time as our train home, jumping in as the doors opened. 
We also did not see the sea in Edinburgh. Given how close we were to missing the train, I did not point this out to Owen in case he decided to try and go find it and we missed our train. 



Overall it was a good training ride, not many hills and a bit slower than my usual training pace, but it was great to get some big miles in my legs and a good bit of time in the saddle before I step up the hill training over the next few weeks. We covered over 240 miles, ate a lot of cake and had a great time. If you've any suggestions for our next road trip, please let us know (gocumbriaevents@gmail.com). I think carting around two massive panniers full of clothes and kit I didn't need was good training too, it made most of the flat sections feel like hills to be honest. Anyway, I promise to keep you all updated on my 'Fred' preparations over the next few weeks. 




Cheers for all the support, it is great to have all your comments, likes and feedback, and really helps keep Owen and I motivated. As well as training for my ride and Owen for his big run, we're also working hard in the background on organising events, once we're through the start of summer we will be able to make some exciting announcements. Watch this space! 

Whatever you're up to, however it's going, keep it up, keep pushing yourself and make sure you enjoy it. 

Get Outside and Live - Go Cumbria

Paddy 
www.go-cumbria.com 




No comments:

Post a Comment