Wednesday 3 May 2017

Lakeland Loop - Final Pre Fred Ride


Last weekend started with so much promise and fun and ended in a bit of a disappointment, it was the weekend of the Lakeland Loop, a 70 mile sportive from Langdale to Keswick, over Whinlatter, Cold Fell and onto Hardknott and Wrynose before returning to the Langdales. It looked like a great pre-Fred ride and would give me the chance to try the final two big ascents before the Fred Whitton which I think come the day I'll really appreciate. 
Given that I plan to camp in Grasmere before the Fred Whitton I thought it'd be a great chance to camp out before a ride and cycle from the van, rather than from the comfort of my own bed, to help me prepare for game day conditions and the likes. That was the plan anyway...  



We camped at Low Wray campsite near Hawkshead, the National Trust Camp site (https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/features/low-wray-campsite-facilities). A fantastic camp site, great for the family (I was camping out with Mrs Paddy and Mini Miss Boss Paddy). There was plenty to do, we walked, cycled, climbed, went to the castle and my daughter loved it. We finished the day with a home made stone baked pizza from the camp site too, we will definitely be going back there, and I highly recommend it. 


Anyway, Sunday morning I got up and headed off from a frosty misty campsite and headed for the start of the Lakeland Loop. My plan, start slow, take it easy and make sure you have enough left in the tank for the final two big climbs. As we approached Red Bank, the climb from Langdale to Grasmere, a bloke on a black bike had the audacity to overtake me, so not 5 miles into a 70 mile ride I decided that I wasn't having that and overtook him back. He passed me in Grasmere, I passed him going up the hill out of Grasmere and he passed me going by Thirlmere. Anyway, this childish nonsense went on for miles and miles, needlessly until Hardknott came into view and we both realised what we'd done! 


At this point, at the base of Everest, the guy on the black bike (whose name I don't know, for arguments sake let's call him my nemesis) stopped, he got off his bike and had a rest. Pah, I thought to myself, weakness, and I shot off full of spirit and the confidence that comes from crushing ones nemesis. My confidence lasted about 30meters, at this point I thought to myself, by heck this is steep (or words to that effect, that are all too colourful to type here). 
I'm not sure what was harder, the steepness, the bumpiness, the turns, or the fact that the whole bleeding road was full of cars going up and down. I felt they kept getting in the way, though I am sure they felt the same of me, some of the hand gestures made me even surer they felt that way. 

It took me under 3 and a half hours to get to the base of Hardknott, 60 miles into the event, the final 9 miles over Hardknott and Wrynose took me a sweaty, painful, crushing, teary one hour and twenty minutes. It was grim, definitely a flipping hard graft. I've done a fair few climbs and this was definitely my least favourite (Wrynose was ok, but you know what you did to me Hardknott and I will never forgive you for it). I'm not one for pain and suffering, but I do usually enjoy cycling up hills, usually because when you get to the top you get a nice fast, fun, easy descent. But Hardknott and Wrynose don't even give you that! Going down is almost as hard as going up because it is so steep and twisty.

My legs were tired, my arms were tired, my lungs were screaming, I have no idea how he did it, but I blame nemesis, I'm sure he swapped my legs for his just to make it hard for me going up the hills. Honestly I could have cried, but I wanted an Ice Cream so I pushed on to the finish as best as I could. 



During the ride I got a call from Mrs Paddy, whilst nursing the van home the engine had 'let go'. Whilst driving alongside a group of cyclists competing in the Lakeland Loop the vans engine let out a massive cloud of steam, it turned out that the radiator had exploded but Mrs Paddy and the surrounding cyclists didn't know this and I'd like to pass on my thanks to the riders who stopped by to help get Mrs Paddy and Mini Miss Boss Paddy out of the van and away to safety. Obviously there wasn't a lot I could do from my bike in Lorton so I continued with the ride but it did mean at the end of the weekend we were a man down in the camper van stakes. 

The plans for the Fred took a bit of a hit logistically and my confidence was shot a bit too from my failure to ride up the final two passes like Lance Armstrong. Then after a few days of sulking I realised, Lance Armstrong has never cycled up those two passes, so I did ok. Also I guess I cam camp in Grasmere in my tent if needs be, who needs a mattress before a 112 mile bike ride... I'm sure it'll be fine. 

Anyway, Owen after his run is looking for our next challenge and I have a cracking idea for one... but I need to get through the Fred first this weekend. Wish me luck. 


(Epic Events Photos from Sport Sunday http://sportsunday.co.uk/lakeland-loop-2017) 


No comments:

Post a Comment