Saturday 20 May 2017

Running Running Flipping Running

Running Running Flipping Running


Well, after a winter on the bike training for thePuffer and the Fred. The Fred is over and it's time to get back to other forms of hurtling around the Lake District than on my marvellous road bike. I've been avoiding anything that might lead to injury before the Fred so I don't end up crocked, things like Mountain Biking have been well and truly on the back shelf and I can't wait to get back onto my MTB. I've also avoided running for a while during my Fred preparations, leaving that to Owen who is definitely the expert in the field. 

This week I dug out my running shoes, still muddy from their last outing and decided to get back to it. Mrs Paddy has signed us up to do Total Warrior in August, so I figured some practice is required and it is probably worth getting used to having stiff calves, sore knees and dodgy hips all over again before the main event so it doesn't come as a massive surprise come August when I'm running around Shap in the wet and cold. 

I usually avoid running, but on my first outing this week, a brief 2 mile run to the garage to collect the broken down Bongo Bus, which is now running again, I had an epiphany. Instead of not enjoying it and hating every minute I suddenly realised and remembered all the things I love about running. When I say all the things... I mean one... and when I say love... I mean... I flipping hate running. 

I have no idea how Owen does it for 40 odd miles, hats off to you its bleeding hard work. When I tell people I did the Fred (and believe me I tell a lot of people, I can turn any conversation around to me doing the Fred - a bit like when Mrs Paddy did the London Marathon, ask her for the time or talk to her about the weather one day and I am sure she will tell you about it) they are impressed, but to be honest, riding a bike is easy, if nothing else I'm sat down all the time so it isn't that much more difficult than watching TV. But running! There is no escape from running, it is just constant hard work, and if you sit down mid run, you stop running! 

Anyway, there are parts of running I love, I enjoy being outside in the countryside, running through trails and fields, the pace of running is slower than cycling or driving so it is great to be that bit closer to your surroundings and part of the action. I love how much time it gives you to think and ponder over things and it is a really good way to keep fit too, no matter how far, fast or long you're running it is a really good way to get a cardio workout and keep off the pounds I'm piling on from my Cake and Coffee stops while cycling. Though all that said my favourite bit of running is getting home, having a brew and moaning about running. 

Anyway, it's part of a rounded fitness routine I suppose so I better keep it up, maybe I should try fell running, I always liked the idea of that, no idea why, but I might give it a go over the summer before I change my mind. 

I'm not sure if this blog helps keep you motivated for running? But if it does or if you've any hints or tips to make it a bit more fun please let us know by getting in touch or sharing your adventures with the hashtag #GoCumbria on twitter or instagram, or just comment on our facebook page.

Paddy

No comments:

Post a Comment