Tuesday 9 May 2017

The Fred - Fred Whitton 2017

The Fred Whitton 2017


First things first, what a fantastic well organised event. It was a massive challenge, 112 miles and 3950m of ascent meant it was the longest and most difficult days riding I'd ever done. But what better setting than the beautiful Lake District on a sunny spring day. I felt very pleased with myself to have finished, it felt amazing to be a part of and i enjoyed myself the whole way round. Well, ok the last part is a bit of a fib, at times I hated myself, everyone around me and I wanted to throw my bike into a hedge. 


In December I decided to sign up to the Fred Whitton, I'd watched tired, sweaty, broken people cycling through Ambleside and Grasmere in previous years and I thought to myself, I'll do that one day... how hard can it be. Sadly, my entry this year was accepted so rather than telling people I could do it, I had no choice but to actually get on with some training and do it. This weekend, in what seems like only a couple of weeks since I applied to take part, it finally arrived. Myself and over 2000 other fools headed to Grasmere to take on the Fred, the toughest cycle sportive going. 


The initial plan was to drive through to Grasmere on Saturday, spend a day enjoying Grasmere with family and a lovely evening chilling out in the Camper van. Then get up early to head out on the course. I figured the earlier I set off, the less of a rush I'd be in and the more likely I'd be to make the cut off points and not blow myself out like I did on the Lakeland Loop 2 weeks ago. Anyway, the best laid plans and all that, as you'll remember from the Lakeland Loop blog, the Bongo van suffered a bit of an engine mishap and it has still not recovered, so my evening of R&R after registration saw me sleeping in a smelly tent with my Avengers duvet. I couldn't have asked for better prep - I'm fairly sure Chris Froome does the same thing before he goes off on his jolly around France. 


I had a great sleep, the guy in the next tent stopped snoring so bad after about 1am - so it was actually a better nights sleep than I usually get sleeping next to Mrs Paddy the Gruffalo. I joined the queue to start at around 6am and headed out on my way through the cold misty Lakes towards Ambleside and Kirkstone. 


Much like the plan for the Lakeland Loop, I intended to take it easy early doors and save all my energy and efforts for the final two climbs of Hardknott and Wrynose. Following on from my last blog (where I mentioned I'd made the mistake of going out too hard and being too tired for the big finale) I had plenty of people reminding me of this plan. 'Don't push too hard too early Paddy' and 'It's a long old day Paddy, remember that' or even 'don't do what you did on the Lakeland Loop', but these people reminding me of my own advice are all forgetting one thing... I'm an idiot, the kind of idiot that doesn't like listening to his own advice. 


So, in the spirit of taking it easy and not going too fast too early, I managed to set a new personal best over Kirkstone, and Matterdale End, and Honister... and also Newlands the first 4 climbs. I was going so fast I beat Mrs Paddy to Keswick so I missed my first food stop and I had to carry on and wait until Whinlatter for my ham sandwich. By the time I got to Whinlatter I still felt great, so in my buoyant mood I told Mrs Paddy how great I felt, how quick I was going and how easily I was going to finish. By the look on her face I could tell she didn't share my optimism and I had to double check she had heard what I'd said properly. She just had a crazy kind of 'I told you so face' - one which would come to haunt me about half an hour later. 


Between Whinlatter and Ennerdale I hit the wall, I hated everything and everyone and Mrs Paddy's face was smiling at me loud and clear. The highlight of my journey came around Loweswater when I caught up with some tourists enjoying a cycling trip. 'Hi', we exchanged pleasantries, I'm terribly polite, even when I'm tired. 'How far are you going' they asked. '112 miles' I responded. 'Ooooooo, bloody hell' said they 'How far have you been'.... I looked at my Garmin, I tried to respond but in my head I could not fathom how I was only 65 miles in! Only just past half bleedin way! I can't write down what I said to them next, but it turns out when I'm tired I'm not as terribly polite as I initially thought.  
   


I'd perked up a lot by the time I got to Calder Bridge, a random bloke gave me a banana on Cold Fell which helped and my mood took an even better turn when I was greeted by my daughter, wife, Dad, Step Mum and Grandad at the food stop. My racing mentality took a step to the side at this point and I enjoyed a good old long lunch with family.  A good three hours inside the cut off time I knew I was going to finish by this point and decided to enjoy myself for the rest of the trip. Ham sandwiches and Haribo for everyone! 


The final section of the ride was the one we all look forward too... I'm kidding again. The final section of the ride is the run up through to Hardknott and Wrynose, which on any day are tough rides and climbs, but with 95 miles in my jelly legs I knew it was going to be harder than ever, so I didn't even stop at Dalegarth station for an Ice Cream. Which is a shame, because I love it there. 


Anyway, the final climb came and went and it was at this point I started to enjoy how many people were there cheering us all on and I started to notice how far and wide people had travelled to watch and take part. I saw cycle jerseys from all around Cumbria and the Lake District, from Scotland, Wales and even from overseas! I got a little confused at the start of Hardknott when a guy in an Ipswich CC jersey overtook me, all I could think was that they don't even have hills in Ipswich, how on Earth is he doing this. Anyway, I got further than I have managed before up Hardknott before I bailed out, so I was very pleased with myself and held no shame what so ever as I walked (hobbled) the final section. 


I finished the event with an official time of 8 hours and 45 minutes, which included a good half an hour at Calder Bridge for my long lunch. I was really pleased with my time and really pleased to have finished. Next year I'd love to do it again and try to beat my time and maybe get an official time of under 8 hours. My Strava time was 7 hours 50, which of course is the time I've been telling people, rather than my official time. But the main goal was to get round, which I did - so mission accomplished. Can't wait to do it again and make improvements on my time. 


It was an amazing event, I really enjoyed it and I recommend it to anyone to get out and give it a go. The atmosphere was great, the support from everyone lining the route was much appreciated, thanks to all the Marshals and everyone who helped to organise the event, you all did a great job. Finally a huge thanks to my wife Nic. Mrs Paddy and Mini Miss Paddy were scattered around the course, driving miles and miles to meet me, cheer me on and pass on food and water at various points. It was such a boost to see them and hear their fog horn chants and cheering. I couldn't have done it without their support. 

My next adventure is yet to be confirmed, but I look forward to more battles with bikes and the elements when I next Get Outdoors and GO Cumbria. 

[Pictures either my own or purchased from www.Steveflemingphoto.com]

1 comment: